On CampUS Placements
This placement is being offered as part of the On CampUS Placements Programme, offering undergraduate and taught postgraduate students a 100 hour project based placement within the University. If you are successful in gaining a placement through this scheme you are required to complete a end of placement poster and commit to specific reviews with the department.
For more details about the scheme see: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/careers/jobs/placements
The Department of Estates and Facilities Management plays a leading role in much of the University’s sustainability programme – from ensuring our buildings are as energy efficient as possible to making sure that we hit our waste recycling targets.
But doing that effectively needs all our students and staff to know what we’re aiming for and how everyone can contribute. So we’re looking at a new initiative to ensure that we can communicate our targets and achievements across the University community, using the digital screens we have in most of our buildings.
We’re looking for a placement student to help us deliver this project. We need someone to write a programme which will enable us to present graphical explanations of how we’re doing and what we want to do in a clear, easy to understand and impactful way. The programme will need to be simple to operate and update and support a number of different data sets.
The ideal candidate for the post will:
• Have experience in building and editing websites
• Be proficient in HTML/CSS
• Have evidenced experience writing PHP and Perl
• Have knowledge of writing databases and SQL
• Some experience of graphic design
• A good understanding of how to communicate effectively
• An eye for visual display
• Good interpersonal skills and an ability to deal with people at all levels
• Effective project and time management skills
• An interest in sustainability
The advert is now online and can be found on Career Connect by searching ‘On CampUS Placements – Computer programmer for sustainability campaign’.