Last night we held a Speed Networking event in collaboration with the Departments of Computer Science and Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
The event ran from 17:00-20:00 and provided an excellent opportunity for students to meet and network with alumnus from across the sector, allowing them to benefit from their vast range of knowledge and experience in searching and securing placements and/or graduate roles. The event aims to provide answers to questions that students may have when getting close to finishing their degrees, questions such as:
- What direction should I take after my degree?
- What are the pros and cons of obtaining and working in an Engineering role?
- What would someone who has been in my shoes advise me to do?
During the Speed Networking event students were split in to small groups and had 10 minutes to chat with each alumnus and had additional informal networking time alongside a buffet to conclude the event. This gave students plenty of time to ask all of their questions regarding the alumni members time spent at The University of Sheffield and the careers they have gone on to achieve.
Last night we were honoured to welcome great number of Engineering alumnus, including;
- Ziad Azar, Technical Project Manager / Design Engineer – Siemens Wind Power
- Dave Chaston, Senior Software Engineer – Sky Betting and Gaming
- Laura Craciun, Software Developer – PSG Connect Ltd
- Thomas Cullinane, Web Developer – BBC
- Bill Gibson, Chairman – Gibson Technology Ltd
- Alex Godbehere, Project Engineer – AMRC with Boeing
- Ross Goodburn, Head of Channel Sales – RandomStorm
- Duncan Payne, Lead Software Engineer – ZOO Digital Group PLC
- Tim Rivett, Director – Tim Rivett Consulting
- Kevin Stanley-Adams, Graduate Engineer – Meggitt PLC
- Meyrick Vevers, Consultant – Valerian
- Mark Whalley, Chief Engineer – Speedibake
- Darren Williams, Welding Systems Lead – TWI Ltd
Whatever stage you are at of your career planning, hopefully this event will inspire you to take your next step with confidence. There is a huge support network to help you at The University of Sheffield.
The Careers Service
The Careers Service offers a wide range of services to help you:
- Find jobs and work experience
- Meet employers
- Make ‘stand-out’ applications
- Develop your skills
- Get careers advice
Appointments with Careers Advisers
Advice sessions are available EVERY weekday at the Careers Service where you can get information on career options, find work experience and get help with your CVs, applications and interviews for jobs and placements, as well as advice on postgraduate study and more. To book your appointment, call (0114) 222 0910.